View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
good photography or what? 

Post good photography or what?
Having spend now some time to play around with real HDR and tonemapping of single image I start to wonder where the borders go between fine art where skill is required and kitsch where nice effects can be done to please the eyes of the mass.... ( i know I will get a some feed back on this statement) but lets be honest, I can tweak a rather flat and dull picture to a stunning thing by...software....
see what I mean in www.haraldhespephoto and go to HDRI folder and the first 5-6 pictures. All actually not so great photos originally but some tweaks some tricks and here we go!
Not fair to the good photographers around....
Harald

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:18 am

Post Re: good photography or what?
...and by the way the gallery "world images" 5-6 first images...displays the same phenomena, rather flat stuff but gives with some tweaks a much more appealing image, but its actually not real photography, more a simple digital editing thing that anyone can do OR IS IT?
Looking forwar to your comments.
Regards
Harald

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:41 am
VIP Member
VIP Member

I would love to comment, but your link is not working.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
VIP Member
VIP Member

Okay Harold, finally found your site by other methods. I think I commented before about HDRI (High Dynamic Range Images) not to be confused with high definition (which is a broadcast term for horizontal resolution) The very meaning of High Dynamic Range is the expanding the detail in a photograph (the bright details and the dark details) to resemble what your eye naturally see's - that's it! It not Hoconos Poconos it just a technique for expanding the range of detail capture that your camera sensor is not capable of.

Your images seem to have a look to me that is done in Topaz adjust or simple tone mapping one single frame. If you don't want to see that cartoon quality or over saturated illustrated look than try layering 3 -5 images taken a different Ev's and layering them in Photoshop. Even in Photomatix Pro you can use different settings to lessen that common HDR look that some people don't like. I've recently changed my processing workflow to emulate a different look to my HDR images. My main goal is to produce works of art that is an expression of what I wish to evoke a response from the viewer. I'm not trying to compete in mainstream photography circles, never have. I get a lot of flak as I've said in the past "of people that do traditional photography rejecting the technique of HDR" but it's still evoking a response and discussion. I thinks that's positive. My customers like what I do and that gives me the power to continue to produce more work - - -That's gratifying to me! I really don't care if others don't appreciate that I spend a average of 6 - 8 hours working on a piece to display and sell my vision of creative art that happens first in my camera and comes out of my printer. I find that more and more photographers are coming to me to learn my techniques everyday. I teach my techniques to a number of photography groups already and I have 2 more seminars this month and 3 more next month to teach them my vision for change in traditional photographic capture and processing. Hope this helps you understand what HDR means to me and how it may effect your perception of HDR in the future. Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to contact me through this forum or my website....Gary

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
VIP Member
VIP Member

Gary is right, in short it's about the individual's expression of his own art work. If I like to express my art as realistically as possable, then that is the form I choose. If I choose the bazaar then that is my form for expression, no one has to like it. I think Pacaso stinks. Rembrandt is great. But thats my oppinion.
But I admire the skill and creativity that it takes to make some of the things I see even if I dont like the result. But junk is junk and is not praise worthy, however skill/creativity are worth my praise. Photography can take many forms, A story teller may not want his work to be pretty, but express a feeling or an action as it happens, he still wants quality in his photos, and keep it as close as possible to what he see's. A black and white photographer loves the way the photo looks without color, not realistic, in a world of color but it's excepted as "good" photography. If you were to grade apples to apples then that would be fair, b/w to b/w and HDR to HDR and keep it pure that way, then you can judge what is good and what is not based on the choosen medium. Like oils vs oils, watercolors vs watercolors, abstract vs abstract, fantasy vs fantasy. Just my oppinion.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile WWW

I had to comment on this and give my simple 2 cents worth. I echo what Gary and John both have to say. I've heard Gary sort of "defend" his HDR stuff because many purists may not agree with this kind of manipulation of a photograph. Art is subjective and how an artist expresses their vision cannot be held to any standard. There is no standard. The same things were being said when digital photography started to become the mainstream. (Some film purists still feel negatively towards digital).

In very simple terms, what I find beautiful and what I enjoy is what makes me, me. HDR is just yet another technique for expressing one's vision. If you ask me, what some of you guys do with HDR is nothing short of fine art. Gary's stuff is stunning and I only wish I has his skill and vision when it comes to HDR.

Taking a photo and then taking it to the next level is what impresses me when I see a photographers work! I think the old saying fits here... variety is the spice of life.

Capture every moment!
http://www.jayscottwood.com

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile WWW

Here it is 12:23 on Christmas Eve day and I am sitting at the computer typing in this comment. With 2 women at home it is no place for the father and husband. It's a woman's world today.

I am glad I enter this topic. It gives me hope. Been down a little lately because very few, if any, people look at photography as an art form. I have trying to use software to make my photos more realistic. To some degree it has worked.

I joined an art gallery but find that people still look at art as to what frame looks best with their decor. I rarely hear or receive comments about the work itself.

Thanks to all of your comments about making the piece of work reflect "you". I need to change my attitude from trying to please others so they will buy my art to creating a piece of art that reflects "me".

To all of you, Have a great holiday and New Year.

For the love of nature, get out and enjoy it!

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:32 am
Profile WWW
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hi Gordon,

I agree, the only person you really want to impress is yourself. If other people get it, that's great!

Have a great Holiday!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meinke-Photography/260980793916774?sk=wall

Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
VIP Member
VIP Member

Gordon, If you want to sell photography you can or weddings or portraits, or maybe events, commercial products. But if your going to do photography for love of it, (not to say you can't love the other stuff, you might love doing it, I don't)
your just going to have to do the best at what you love doing, and if others like it and buy it great!!! if they didn't, oh-well!!! If you get very good, and I mean "very good" at what you love, you will sell stuff. ;)

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for sharing.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]